Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pinot Grigio, Salmon, & July 4th

In anticipation of the Fourth of July, I wanted to talk about a great way to kickoff the holiday. Most people would grab an ice cold beer as they BBQ burgers and dogs by the pool. I, however, would recommend throwing some seafood on the BBQ to class it up and enjoy along with it a glass of crisp Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio. (This is the same varietal - French or Italian respectively.)  The great thing is this wine is light enough to stand on its own, so I will typically have a glass while we prepare the food and another with dinner.

This is not likely the first thing to come out of a typical wine connoisseur’s mouth, but I think this wine can be enjoyed in this setting. Especially if you decide that Salmon is your meat of choice! I like pairing it with some grilled Asparagus and a cold pasta salad with fresh tomatoes, black olives and a light balsamic vinaigrette dressing.  If you are new to wine, you may want to try Ecco Domani. They serve a very classic Pinot Grigio that has flavors of green apple with hints of citrus, and it can be found at almost any grocery store. Another Pinot Grigio that is made close to me geographical, but I have yet to try, although I’ve heard is very good and affordable, is from Alisos Vineyard at Palmina Winery. If you decide to give it a try, please send us your tasting notes and thoughts.

Good luck planning your 4th of July celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment